Volcano Bus - Volcano in Geldingadalur
Volcanic Eruption in Geldingadalur - departures on Saturdays
Reykjavik Excursions offers a return transfer from BSÍ Bus Terminal in Reykjavik to the start of the hiking route towards the volcano in Geldingadalur, known as Fagradalsfjall Volcano. The Bus will also stop at Fjörukráin in Hafnarfjordur and pick up passengers. The hike will take approximately 1.5-2 hours each way and the trail is conveniently marked so you can easily find it without a guide.
Don´t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience and witness the raw power of the lava pouring out of the surface of the earth.
Reykjavik Excursions will follow the recommendations of the Civil protection service and cancel the tour if circumstances at the eruption site are unsafe.
Please be aware of the public guidance for hikers visiting the site. For more information visit the Department of Civil Protection.
- Be aware that the weather can change quickly.
- Wear hiking shoes, warm and waterproof clothing.
- Assume that the journey may take longer than planned.
- Bring a packed lunch and water to drink.
- Keep an eye on your travel companions. Fatigue and hypothermia come quickly.
- Stick to hills and ridges. Avoid valleys and dells in the landscape.
- There is a risk of rock fall. Beware of steep slopes
- The telephone connection in the area is bad and it can therefore be difficult to call for help if needed.
- Eruption sites can change and new eruption cracks may open on short notice.
- Gas pollution is strongest close to the area and can lurk in valleys and dells where it is particularly dangerous.
- Gas pollution can change on short notice if the eruption suddenly increases and it is dangerous to be near the eruption sites without measuring instruments.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 6 years|
|Difficulty: Very easy|
What is included
- Bus fare
- Free Wi-Fi
- This is a non-guided hike
11.00 am departure
Hikers will be dropped off at the start of the hike on Sudurstrandarvegur. The bus will depart from the pick-up location at Sudurstrandarvegur at 6:00 pm. Hikers are responsible for reaching the bus before its departure to Reykjavik. Estimated arrival at BSI Bus Terminal in Reykjavik is 7.00 pm - 7.30 am (midnight).
4.00 pm departure
Hikers will be dropped off at the start of the hike on Sudurstrandarvegur. The bus will depart from the pick-up location at Sudurstrandarvegur at 10:30 pm. Hikers are responsible for reaching the bus before its departure to Reykjavik. Estimated arrival at BSI Bus Terminal in Reykjavik is 12.00 am - 12.30 am (midnight).
- The hike is about 1.5-2 hours, each way
- Difficulty level: Moderate
- Distance: 7 km
- Elevation: 300 m
- Hikers will have approximately 2 hours to view the volcanic eruption
Remember to dress according to weather and to bring food and drink.
Please wear hiking shoes and bring crampons as conditions can be slippery.
It is mandatory to bring a headlight, as you will be walking back in the dark.
- Travellers need to bring their own face mask and are required to use it onboard all buses.
- Hikers are responsible for following social distancing rules during the hike.
Meeting Point Information
BSI Bus Terminal